Friday, November 17, 2017

Brand Re-launch


Photo: Hillary McCormack // Model: Emily Dickinson // Dress: Lunar Offerings
 

November 4, 2016, I got in a car accident for my first time. I came away from it just fine, a bit of whiplash, but also with a new perspective on what I really want from this short time on this planet. As the car ahead crashed into us, and everything went briefly slo-mo as I saw it coming, I thought, "I hope I am remembered for my art." It sounds kind of cheesy, but because it was the first thing to cross my mind, it made me realize again just how important my creativity is to me. This is the moment I realized  I should focus more on my design work, not just as an art form, but as a serious brand. It was time to start working on making Lunar Offerings memorable.

I am surprised I haven't gone into too much detail about this yet. It took a couple more months after that to really realize exactly what I wanted to do: create a permanent "basics" collection for my brand. And by basics, I obviously mean in a gothy/witchy nature. Stuff I would want to wear every day, personally. Things that you think would be simple enough to find in local shops, but are not. I am also trying to design in a sustainable way, making it so (almost) anything I make falls under an affordable price range. I like to use thrifted, donated, vintage, discounted, and scrap fabrics. This helps me not charge a fortune for my pieces, and helps keep things unique and one of a kind. I also want to try my hardest to do ZERO outsourcing outside of Canada. This might get tricky, but so far, so good!

So I originally launched Lunar Offerings in the Summer of 2011, but because I am me and always have a hundred things on the go, I didn't put my all into it right away. Instead, I put my all in to someone else's business, which was my first big mistake right after school. I would create a handful of looks every other year after graduating for the college's yearly runway show, and if they sold, bonus! I only viewed it as an art form rather than a business. So, I decided a few months back that I wanted to relaunch the whole thing. I started researching, troubleshooting ideas, creating a real logo, etc.  A big part of it is creating a sample line so I can finally start applying for fashion shows that aren't just through the craft college. I want to have a sample line ready and waiting in my design closet at any given time, so I can take part at events on the fly, instant of fretting if I will have enough, scrambling to create looks last minute. A big goal is applying for Atlantic Fashion Week in Fall 2018.

So I am aiming to relaunch Lunar Offerings in Spring 2018. The NBCCD fashion show is April 14th, and I would like to send 8-10 looks down the runway instead of my standard 5, and I hope to have multiple of each item available for purchase immediately after, including different size options. I have been working hard on this line with all the spare time I have since April 2017, and I think this is a perfect deadline to aim for, as it is the 20th anniversary fashion show. No better time to pull out the big guns! I really can't wait for you all to truly see how hard I have been working on creating something that will hopefully live on long after I am gone from this world.


Kayleigh






1 comment:

  1. I am so excited for this!!! I love your pieces so much.

    ReplyDelete